Meryl is on a mission to educate people about the why and how to include people with disabilities and accessibility in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts. She works to educate and engage on these topics with grace and vigor. Because of this, someone referred to Meryl as an accessibility unicorn. Accessibility is not an all-or-nothing proposition. The key is to treat it like a journey by aiming for progress over perfection. She encourages celebrating small victories and making progress every day.
She can speak on a diversity of disability and accessibility topics including:
- Accessibility and disability awareness
- Why and how to create high-quality captioned videos
- Why and how to ensure marketing and communications are accessible
- What is 360-degree accessibility and why it matters
- … and more
Available for in-person and virtual events.
Speaking Events in 2023
- March 2023: SXSW
- January 2023: Nonprofit
Speaking Events in 2022
- November 2022: Why Accessibility Needs to Be Part of Your MVP with Sharron Rush and Albert Swantner at Austin Startup Week
- November 2022: Why You Need to Involve Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Research and Testing via A11y Camp
- October 2022: Internal event: Progressive
- October 2022: Demystifying Accessible Technology: Disability and Philanthropy Forum
- September 2022: Gain Creative Breakthroughs by Hiring People With Disabilities via FoundedInFoCo
- September 2022: Why and How to Caption Videos via Jackson
- August 2022: Sustainable Buildings Canada’s Better Buildings Boot Camp (#BBBC)
- July 2022: Internal event: WP Engine
- July 2022: Internal event: Flatiron Health
- July 2022: Internal event: Gallaudet University Information Technology program
- June 2022: AXSChat with Neil Milliken and Debra Ruh
- June 2022: XR Access Symposium: The Value of Inclusively Designed XR Workplace Tools and Inclusive Immersive Meetings and Collaboration
- June 2022: Disability Inclusive Design of XR Collaboration Apps [requires free account] at AWE USA [ARPost article]
- May 2022: Bay Area Accessibility and Inclusive Design Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) Meetup
- May 19, 2022: PwC Global Accessibility Awareness Day
- May 19, 2022: State of Digital Accessibility: A Fireside Chat at North Texas Disability Chamber in Plano, Texas
- May 11, 2022: Access services customer panel at EGA Access Services Summit
- May 4, 2022: ETS Employee Global Accessibility Awareness Day event
- May 10, 2022: How to Create Accessible Captions at John Slatin AccessU in Austin, Texas.
- April 23, 2022: TEDx Talk at TEDxPlano
- March 16, 2022: Design XR Tools with Disability Inclusion in Mind with Ashley Coffey at axe-con
- February 2022: Fable: How Do We Avoid Surface-level Inclusion of People with Disabilities in Tech?
- January 11, 2022: Demystifying Accessibility at PCMA Convening Leaders Conference in Las Vegas.
Speaking Events in 2021
- December 2021: Captions for Everyone! with Chris Bogue and Viktor Köves.
- December 2021: 2021 State of Accessibility Report Findings with Diamond
- December 2021: Curiosity Tank: Conducting Accessible UXR
- December 2021: WordPress Accessibility Meetup Group: How to Create Accessible Captioned Videos for WordPress Sites and Beyond
- December 2021: National Ability Summit
- November 2021: Shattering Misconceptions About Deafness via A11yTalks
- November 2021: XR Association Limitless Future Conference: Value of Inclusive Design in XR-based Training
- October 2021: A11yTO Conf: What Y’all Need to Know About Captioned Videos on Social Media, Eh?
- October 2021: AccessibilityPlus: Early Adopters: How Embracing Assistive Technology Can Help Any Business panel with Gavin Neate, Andrew Houghton, and Andrea Mocellin
- September 2021: Content Marketing World: “Accessibility Is Everyone’s Job — Marketing Included”
- September 2021: Deaf Tech: Travel Through Time from Past to Future via #ID24
- July 2021: Southern Methodist University Accessibility in User Experience
- July 2021: WordCamp Santa Clarita Valley: OMG! WTH Do I Start with A11y?
- July 2021: A11yNYC: I Heart CC: Why and How to Caption Videos Folks Love
- May 2021: Accessibility Camp Bay: Get the FAQ About Captions
- May 2021: AccessU: How to Caption Like a Rock Star and How to Create Accessible Social Media and Website Content
- May 2021: UW Husky Hackathon Panel: Busting Myths About People with Disabilities
- April 2021: TechAccess Oklahoma: How to Create Accessible Content for Social Media and Websites
- March 2021: Bay Area Disability Inclusion Network: Why and How to Create Accessible Social Media and Website Content
- March 2021: Accessibility in Hearing Technology Q&A with Mimi
- February 2021: A11yATX: Much Ado About Captioning Videos
Speaking Events in 2020
- November 2020: Shattering Assumptions About Deafness
- October 2020: Through the Eyes of a Deaf Person with Equal Entry
- October 2020: WordCamp Los Angeles: Much Ado About Captioning Videos for WordPress and Beyond
- October 2020: WordPress Accessibility Day: Much Ado About Captioning Videos for WordPress and Beyond
- July 2020: WordPress San Fernando Valley Meetup: Much Ado About Captioning Videos
- May 2020: AccessU: No Autocraptions Allowed: Why and How to Caption Videos
- May 2020: A. Miroe Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD): What’s Next in Digital Inclusion and Accessibility?
Podcasts and Lives
- November 2022: The Brand Called You with Ashutosh Garg
- November 2022: How to Advocate for a Cause LinkedIn Live with Judy Schramm, CEO of ProResource
- October 2022: I Have Questions About Accessibility series with IfYouAskBetty podcast
- October 2022: Progress Over Perfection LinkedIn Live with Cam Beaudoin
- September 2022: Podcast: Attract Top Talent with Inclusive Hiring Practices via The Future of Work Podcast
- April 2022: State of accessibility in entertainment via Kelly and Company Podcast [Transcript]
- December 2021: Captions for Everyone LinkedIn Live with Chris Bogue
- October 2021: Article 19 Podcast via Tamman Inc.
- October 2021: A11y Rules Podcast
- January 2021: Press This Podcast: Creating Captivating Video Captions
- August 2020: Podcast: Make It Real with Trisha Lewis
- March 2019: Podcast: Part of Me with Esi Hardy